Sunday 8 September 2013

Then and Now


 

 

“Then and Now”

By

J.L.Gupta

 

It was the year 1959. I was studying at the Government College. There was a grand galaxy of teachers. Hardworking. Punctilious about punctuality. They were dignified in their dress and address. All of them were contented and committed. The Principal had just an old ‘Fiat’. Some had cycles. The others simply walked to the college. As students, we looked up to each one of them.

 

Prof. Mahesh Chandra was teaching history. He was tall, thin and lean. Handsome. He had a presence. His students spoke highly about his qualities of head and heart. I had not opted for the subject. But I wanted to talk to him. And as chance would have it, an Inter-college Elocution Contest provided me an opportunity to meet him. I requested him to suggest a suitable piece.

 

There was a friendly nod of the head. “Let me see,” was all that I heard. I left the staff room with a mixed feeling. Unsure of what would happen, I spent the afternoon in the college library. And the fact that I did not see Prof. Chandra there further led me to believe that I shall have to help myself.

 

I was slightly anxious. But my age entitled me to a good meal. And as the clock ticked 9, I was overtaken by Ms. Calm Sleep. I was totally oblivious of what the good professor was going through. At least till the next morning.

 

As I got up, I found eight books on the table. My father told me that the kind professor had come to the house at 11.30 PM. He had brought the books from the University Library, which was nearly 8 kms. from where I lived. Some books were placed in the basket. Some on the cycle carrier. The rest were on his arm. With the other hand, he had steered his pedal mobile – the cycle. He must have reached his home after midnight.

 

I glanced through the marked pages. Each one was an excellent piece of oration. And on reaching the College, I discovered that he had gone to the University immediately after finishing his class. He had spent the afternoon and the evening going through a large number of books. Ultimately, he had selected the eight pieces.

This happened more than 5 decades back. My college teacher had done it. How many would do it today? Will my grandchildren’s teacher do it? I have grave doubts. It is sad that things have changed. So much. From then to now.

 

   

5 comments:

  1. Uncle they will use Google now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is remarkable experience you have shared with us, our generation is missing this simplicity and honesty that time had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring! Such mentors and teachers are fast disappearing but I do have very fond memories of some teachers who were committed and did not treat teaching as a profession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Started my "formal education" in the mid 1950s, it was really just the start ;-)... I guess I am lucky to remember six teachers from the many who did their best over the years to get and keep me interested. Mostly because of the turning points they were associated with...

    Kindergarten teacher
    6th grade teacher ( first male teacher )

    Jr. High School vocational instructor ( typing )

    High School Mathematics teacher
    High School History teacher

    Collage Mathematics professor

    Two years ago I was back in University to study a "foreign" language... formal education is a challenge, but what the instructor brings to the table is a such a higher level than the commercial classroom ( business workshops, etc. ). The advantage of going back to university was the library...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dedication Extraordinaire! I have my favorite teachers and professors who's presence in my life, belief in me and dedication to the profession truly played a marked and supporting role in my life which I will be forever grateful!

    May all be so blessed to have a teacher/professor such as Prof. Chandra as such are most positive ripples to a student and outward into the collective life that we share! :)

    ReplyDelete