Sunday 1 September 2013


“Retired but not Tired”

By

J.L. Gupta

 

Some are born old. Some never age. I have seen seventy one summers pass. Age has brought the inevitable change. In the limbs and looks. What was once a hairy head is almost a bald pate. There are implants in the eyes. Also silver in the teeth. More mass than muscle in the body. Probably, supple to stiff could sum up the story.

Yet, age has not made me a sage. The few grey hair that have survived do not really tell the age of the heart. I enjoy all the good things of life. Almost with the same old intensity. I like compatible company. Good food. Liquor. Vintage wine. And even more. I firmly believe that every consumable is meant to be consumed. Eatables are there to be eaten. Starvation can only make a man sick. Fat keeps me fit.

In fact, fattening food is my favourite. It is just irresistible. There is nothing better than a well done four egg omelette. Stuffed parathas with fresh butter on top are just irresistible. How can you enjoy ‘daal’ or ‘saag’ without a good ‘tadka’ of desi ghee? I firmly believe that a hungry man is an angry man. A little bulge is beautiful. It makes a curve. A satisfied stomach is so soothing for the soul. A good meal brings a smile on the face. Good food gives good energy.

And this energy is needed. It helps me to enjoy my work. At the end of the day, it promotes a sound sleep. I can get up before dawn and doze off after the News at Ten. In between, there is a lot to do. Continuously. Without a break or a yawn. Listen to music. Read. Shop. Pick up some good breads, cereals cheese for breakfast. During weekends, even a game of golf. And at the end of the round, a visit to the Bar. Popularly called the 19th hole on the golf course. A few sips or swishes of ‘single malt’ (temporarily suspended on the doctor’s advice for a few days)do a lot of good to the system. If in doubt, please try.

When a little lighter in the head, I realise that I am totally free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally. But being fat, I cannot stoop too low. My caution to all (friends and foes) is - ‘Do not worry about what you eat. Just take care of what is eating you. And if you carry a clear conscience to bed every night, you would normally not have to visit a doctor or swallow pills. Irrespective of what you eat or drink. And God forbid, even if you have to, you will be totally calm, comfortable and cool.

The Sun sets to make way for moon. The evening brings lights. It is true that the snow of age does not melt. But snow on the top of the house can only mean that there is fire within. Age is only a number. The reality lies in the attitude. I may have retired. Even undergone a surgery for a tumour in the brain. For the last few days,  the family may not even be allowing me to go for work lest I should catch some infection in a crowded room. Yet, I am really not tired. God has been kind. Friends and family are firm in their support. I am having a blast. Life has never been better.

 

7 comments:

  1. Uncle, your zest for life is very inspiring....and very infectious. Wishing you many more such pleasurable and fun moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like always, it is inspiring, precise and full of wit. Let me share one of the impact you had in my life. All my adulthood my weight used to hover around 50 Kgs (underweight by medical standards). Just after forty, following our frequent interactions, I am touching 69 on the scale. I am happier, peaceful and live in the present. Also I am getting into shape. Round is a shape. I am more "curvy" now as compared to the boring flat lines I always had. Now I eat more, enjoy eating and don't bother about the things that used to eat me in the past. This is a miniscule change in me compared to the positive influence you have on my life. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tauji you epitomize the rule..."Life is endlessly delicious!". Reading your narrative gave me that warm balmy feeling which comes only after eating a well cooked sumptuous satisfying meal. I wholeheartedly agree with you that the gastronomic delights are the best stress busters. So, "what's for lunch?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir, though I don't know you personally but the simple solutions to a beautiful life mentioned here are too good to be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir, though I don't know you personally but the simple solutions to a beautiful life mentioned here are too good to be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to live my life like you ... you lead by example and even tho years seperate us in age ... I enjoy to be in your company ... sipping that Glen Morangie !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful Sage advice for the ages from "Do not worry about what you eat. Just take care of what is eating you. And if you carry a clear conscience to bed every night, you would normally not have to visit a doctor or swallow pills," to "Age is only a number. The reality lies in the attitude." Currently contemplating the green juice drink that I had for dinner b/c it was healthy and fast...Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete