Wednesday 21 January 2015

GOOD DAYS ARE BACK

‘GOOD DAYS ARE BACK’
By
J. L. GUPTA

Yesterday, on Jan.21, 2015, I reached the 73rd milestone on the road of life. Today I have started the journey towards the 74th. During the year, on my way to the 73rd, I stopped what I had started 51 years back in Feb., 1963 – the practice of law.  I retired, not because I felt tired. Nor for lack of work to keep me adequately occupied. Nor for lack of ability or inclination to cope up with the legal conundrums. It was only on strict medical advice that I decided to hang my gown. Repeated Cycles of Chemo therapy and other medicines administered  to take care of the remnants, if any, after surgery for the removal of  ‘glioblastoma’ that was detected in July, 2012, have had the inevitable effect of reducing the level of my physical immunity. As a result, I was vulnerable to the slightest exposure to any kind of infection.  And even a minor infection showed the potential to flare up into a serious problem. Actually, two visits to the Court had led to my hospitalisation on both the occasions. Thus, the doctors had firmly advised against my going to any crowded place and the  family, understandably, refused to grant me any further chance. Still, I am not sitting still or idle. There is always enough to keep me occupied. Even when I am not going to the Court, I get a chance to be an Arbitrator and decide disputes. It is really a satisfying job.

Law is undoubtedly, a jealous mistress. Despite that, I had long back cultivated a close liaison with the good old Lady Golf. It is a grand game played in the open and totally green surroundings. One of the few games, where one hits a stationary ball. Yet, it provides a complete diversion from the day’s drudgery. You can hit a good shot only when you are totally relaxed. The Slightest stress tightens the muscle and changes the direction and the distance of the ball’s travel. Thus, a round of golf with friends ensures total diversion and real relaxation to the body and mind. God is kind. I do get a chance to have a round of golf. And Mr. Amandeep Johl @ GONY, my golf Guru still gives me hope that the best has yet to come. He kindles and fans the fire to sustain my desire to some day, by sheer chance and luck, score a ‘hole in one.’

I have also savoured other good things of life. Scotch has been one. Ironically, I developed an aversion to Alcohol while in Scotland in 2012. After the surgery, the surgeon has been kind and generous, but not the Oncologist. However, the aversion is gone. And the appetite is coming back. This reinforces my belief that the tumor is gone. And hopefully, the good days are back!!


10 comments:

  1. Great write up. Hearty congratulation on leaving behind the 73rd mile stone.a big celebration is called for, particularly on reaching 75th. Stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Uncle! The links and evening cognac at chandigarh await!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday uncle ! We eagerly look forward to those good old days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Sir. But would love your gown hanging as temporary till you recover fully as i still clamor for more and more opportunities to assist you and do cases together. Good your aversion is gone so now without any guilt we can have "charcha over scotch". Warm regards and wishes from the bottom of my heart for continuance of many years of positive optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I in my life have come across a lot of people but none who have the zest for life that you possess. Your ability to fight back, doesn't cease to amaze me. In fact it inspires me. You indeed have aged well. Actually not aged as you are probably younger at heart than any of us. I hope you continue to be my inspiration and motivation in the times to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many Happy Returns sir! While your gown may be on the 'peg', your different strokes with the pen and the club have 'scotched' not 'arbitrarily' all apprehension about your continued inspiring contribution in varied fields.

    Wish you all the best of everything in a very long life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a long and happy life at this juncture! While each one of us may have to say good bye one day, you still inspire each one who knows you by your zest for life, esp those who die with every bout of stress. one can learn a lesson or two on ' how to live well', when ever one meets you or even think of you

    ReplyDelete
  8. My best wishes for you always ! GOLF is a gift that has helped me meet and get to know so many wonderful people as you . You were the father of Nidhi and Nidhesh but now we share more of a friendship and relationship than I with them and of course our evenings with the Sherry Cask Glenmorangie Lasanta. I shall continue to be your guide on the Golf Course and you mine about the finer points of life . Thank you for being there guiding me all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Warmest wishes and regards from all of us on achieving this milestone and for many more to come. The most basic duty of any teacher is to inspire. And you by your way of life, positivity, compassion and innumerable traits, each better than the previous one, have inspired millions including my humble self. For me you are a teacher, friend, confidant and a guide that I cherish every single moment. I am thankful to God to have you in my life and I am sure so is everyone who have come in contact with you. God bless you with a healthy happy and peaceful life. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Uncleji. Subhan Allah. May Ishwar, Bhagwan grant you many more years of health, happiness, fulfilment, love and respect of family and friends and your wish of "Hole-in-one".

    You are a prolific writer and I love to read your blogs. Please keep them coming.

    Jai Hind
    (Busy in Krishna Nagar
    defeating the opportunist)

    ReplyDelete