Saturday 1 November 2014

SMOOTH SEVENTIES


‘Smooth Seventies’
By
J. L. Gupta

The teens were tough. Twenties trying. Thirties thriving. Forties fruitful. Fifties were fun and fulfilling. Sixties have been sweet. And now, how will the seventies be? Satisfying and smooth? Or Sour? Almost half way after the 70th birthday, in July, 2012, when the doctor told me that I had a brain tumor, which was probably malignant,  everything looked possible. But strangely, there was no strain or stress. God gave me lots of strength. A determination to face and fight all that came my way. A little peep into the past may be apt.

I was born in a small town. Not in a fancy nursing home. But in a small bed room. No inoculations or vaccinations. No fuss. Everyone drank water from the hand pump in the house. Ate chaat and sweets laid out in the open. Walked to the school in summer and winter. Sat on the floor. Learnt to write on a wooden board. Sometimes, studied under the light of a kerosene lamp. The teachers were tough. Wielded the rod regularly. The defaulters were punished without any distinction. Played in pouring rain and scorching sun. Gradually grew up. Without ever complaining about anything.

The routine continued even after I left the school. The educationists, governors, ministers and chancellors were regular visitors to the college as well as the university. But no cars with blue or red beacons. Virtually, no noise or nuisance on the road. The ‘sirens’ were heard only during the war. Life was simple and straight. Never heard the word strain, stress’ or ‘suicide’ during my days at the school, college or university.

Today, it is a different world. Everything appears to have changed. While I continue to enjoy the good things of life, I see the children leading a wholly protected existence. Drinking bottled milk and water. Eating fat free food. They go to the school in a bus or car. Preferably air conditioned. The Principal cannot punish her pupils. Everybody says that the system should be free from stress. The educationists adopt the populist line and propose to eliminate the examinations.

Why? When and where will the children learn to face the storms of life? To struggle for success? Probably, we shall have young men who will carry the knowledge of the world in a pocket computer. But will they be able to stand the strain and stress that the present day materialistic world poses? How will they survive in the ruthlessly competitive environment  that we live in today?

Thus, I am never tired of pestering my children and grand children. The grandson often tells me – ‘Dadu! Please chill.’ Yet, the concern remains constant. Looking back, I realise that tough times in early years of life make for a strong body and mind in later life. These lend a spring to every step.

So, I entered the solemn seventies with lots of optimism. Just as the setting sun lends bright colours to the sky, I am sure the years bring a rare rhythm to the life’s routine. Today, the numbers  may count me old. Still, HE has given me something of the youth. I look forward to another decade with no signs of decay. I continue to savour the thought - The seventies shall be smooth and satisfying. And I tell my grand daughter-“ I shall be around when you tie the nuptial knots. Shall not go till I am ‘A Great Grandfather.’It shall happen. Wait and see!






7 comments:

  1. Very inspiring article Sir. But why to stop at Great Grandfather. God willing with your kind of strong determination and will coupled with positive thinking and relentless drive for life, i want you to be there to bless my daughters at their wedding as well. Thanks for being such an inspiration and being there in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the child in you dies, you are dead, even if you breathe. Live with the smile and cheer of childhood till the last and that puts life into years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring write up! Touching 50, we try to say the same to our kids. This is a generational discussion relevant to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article has made me aware of the hardships you've faced in your youth. I feel blessed to be a part of this family as I learn a lot from my elders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone who knows you well, knows that all the hardships have made you a perfect and a complete man. It is said that during our childhood we all are flexible like the green shoots of a young plant and as we grow older, we become stiff and inflexible. Facing hardships in early life makes us more adept at adopting life positively and optimistically. You are a living example and are an ideal for many of us. Stay healthy, blessed and happy. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true display of strength of character. I admire you for this. From an extremely humble existence which made you rock solid to face adversity you have indeed come a long way.
    The exuberance of spirit that you show to this day is unparalleled. It is infectious. What an example for the family. I consider myself to be blessed to have somebody like you as an example.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting discussion of life journey.

    ReplyDelete