Friday 27 December 2013

Vancouver- The City Beautiful

“A Salute to Vancouver - the City Beautiful”
By
J.L. Gupta

The first day in the city of Vancouver. I looked out of the window. The sight was splendid.
View from my Window
A clear sky. The vast span of water that looked blue. The thick green trees. The snow covered peaks.

The sea planes taking off and landing on water.

All this made a beautiful picture. It was crying to be captured. I felt the need for a good camera. Better than the ‘cyber shot’ that I was carrying. And surely before going to the famous Stanley Park.
Dolphin at the Stanley Park
The Aquarium at the Stanley Park


Soon, I was out in the street. And from the first person I saw, I sought directions to a good camera shop. The gentleman was very friendly. The response was spontaneous. He gave me the names of the stores. Marked the locations on the map in my hand. After indicating the directions, he told me that it will take five minutes on foot and ten by bus. I opted to walk.
In less than five minutes, I was at my destination. A huge mall. One could buy almost anything in the world under one roof. I waded my way to the photo shop. All the known brands of cameras were there. In every conceivable size. From something that could be put in the pocket to the one that needed a back-sack. I examined the various pieces with the pretention of an expert. Also listened intently to every word spoken by the patient salesman. And after spending about two hours, I expressed interest in the one that seemed easy to operate and promised good results. So, the salesman took out a sealed pack and delivered it at the cash counter.
Mr. Ali, at the counter, opened the packet. Examined everything very meticulously. Having satisfied himself, he turned to me and asked, “Are you a professional photographer?” I said, ‘No!’ “Do you take fifty thousand pictures in a year?” No! “Five thousand?” No! “I think, you do not need this camera. You should buy a much smaller one. I think ‘Canon – G10’ should meet your needs. It is a compact and good camera. I do not have it. You might check at the next store.”
Soon, I was at the other store. I asked for G-10. Had a good look at it. I was not satisfied. It did not seem as sophisticated as the one that I had fallen for. So I again asked for D50. He took out the camera. Took pains to explain its working. Made me take a few pictures. Put them on a screen so as to give me an idea of the level of clarity and sharpness. And then he asked- “Are you a professional?” No! I want to take a few pictures to remember your beautiful city.
“Is that all? Why do you want to buy a Ferrari to visit your next door neighbour?” I thanked him and walked back to my room. Took a round of the town. Visited various places. Also the Glanville island.

The parks. Also the port. All very beautiful.


Days have passed. I have seen the pictures of the various places in the city. Vancouver is beautiful. But more than the city, I miss the people. Some are local. Some have come from different parts of the world. Including Asia. But all are good human beings. They are simply unforgettable. I think, nature and human beings have combined to make Vancouver – the city beautiful.Both deserve  a Salute!


7 comments:

  1. Thank you Uncleji for sharing. It is indeed a beautiful Canadian city on the Pacific and boasts breathtaking natural setting.

    Notwithstanding, for those with patriotic life-force: Vancouver was also a kind of springboard for the Indian independence struggle. The revolutionary Ghadar movement was started in 1913, mostly by Sikhs, and became quite a force in the US and Canada Pacific rim. It in fact declared war on the British in 1914 and decided to take advantage of the involvement of British in the war. It raised the war cry through its Urdu and Punjabi magazines, literature and propaganda pamphlets and succeeded in recruiting volunteers to fight the British Imperialism in India, The most famous advertisement that frequently appeared in the Ghadar magazines was:

    Wanted: Enthusiastic and heroic soldiers for organizing Ghadar in Hindustan:
    Remuneration: Death
    Reward : Martyrdom
    Pension : Freedom
    Field of work : Hindustan

    To that effect a Japanese ship Komagata Maru was chartered to transport Indians willing to join the battle for freedom from British from Hongkong, shanghai , America and Canada . When the ship with 367 passengers entered Canadian waters, Canadian government denied the ship to dock at Vancouver harbour. The passengers suffered unthinkable hardships during the two months long standoff. This callousness by the then establishment was finally admitted by the Canadians almost after a century and a monument was unveiled in 2012 in rememberance of the shameful incident of Komagata Maru. It is located at the sea wall near the Vancouver Convention Centre West Building The Komagata Maru Museum at the Khalsa Diwan Society Gurdwara on Ross Street vancouver is worth visiting too. Greater Vancouver also happens to be home to the largest population of Punjabi Sikh Canadian citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phuphaji, stunning pictures indeed. Vancouver has repeatedly been voted as amongst the most beautiful cities to live in. I have not visited it yet but your pictures and description make me want to at the earliest opportunity. Wish India had some cities like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photographs have a quality which convey to me, feelings beyond the picture. Besides the visual information, each of these photographs exudate a sense of peace and tranquility, the harmony between nature and the man-made. Great job Uncle, bringing the sublime and esoteric to the tangible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is a true tonic for the eyes and the soul! We keenly and impatiently await the articles that you write...wondering where we will be travelling through your experiences and wisdom. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fascinated with Uncleji's travelogues and accompanying breathtaking photos. He indeed is a previledged and seasoned traveller.

    It would also be interesting to read about Uncleji's first hand impressions about the resident Indians in those countries, their contributions made to the host society and the host society's acceptance of Indians amongst them.
    As I mentioned in my comment above, Vancouver is a City with a lot of history of Indian involvements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. Have not visited the city but hope to one day. Also for good pictures you need a decent camera and a good eye...and you have that uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you made the right choice with the G-10. I really like that camera. The second and third photo posted above are brilliant. Would love to visit Vancouver some day!

    ReplyDelete