Saturday 16 November 2013

A Peep into the Past - My First Brief and My Best Brief.

‘A Peep into the Past.’
‘My First Brief and My Best Brief’

By
J.L. Gupta


            This year, on Feb.28, 2013, I had completed 50 years in law. So, the past  replayed itself. Two things stand out. The day I appeared in court for the first time and the most outstanding person I appeared for.

It was the year 1960. I had graduated and was admitted to the Law College. In 1962, I was a graduate in law. But I learnt to my utter dismay that I was a year too young. However, in January, 1963, I had reached the prescribed age of 21. And, on Feb. 28, 1963, I was enrolled as an Advocate. In course of time, I had my first brief. Gurdial Singh, a migrant from W. Pakistan and, thus, a displaced person, had committed default in the repayment of a taqavi* loan (“ *advances made to a cultivator for implements; digging wells etc.”). The department had initiated proceedings to recover the amount as arrears of land revenue. This meant that coercive measures could be adopted. The defaulter could even be arrested. One of the senior members of the Bar graciously guided and told me that the validity of such a procedure in the case of a displaced person had been questioned. The issue was pending consideration before a Full Bench of the High Court.

I got a copy of the Order. Drafted the petition. Showed it to the senior who had initially guided me. And finally, with prayers on my lips, presented it to the Court registry. The case was listed for hearing next morning before a Division Bench consisting of Honourable the Chief Justice Mr. Donald Falshaw and another Hon’ble Judge, in Court 1. An imposing structure. A big courtroom. The Judges sitting at a high pedestal. I shall be less than honest if I were to claim that there were no butterflies in the stomach. Even a tremor in hands and feet. However, having faced audience during college days, I was reasonably ready for the situation.

The case was called. I was on my legs. I had just started and was still stating the issue arising in the case when I noticed that the Chief Justice was red in the face. He observed – ‘This is the most frivolous petition that I have come across.’

My response was equally frank. ‘My Lords! If your Lordships have referred a frivolous point to a Full Bench, I have nothing more to say.’ And having said that, I had just sat down. There was a total silence. One could hear a pin drop. And suddenly, the Chief Justice mumbled ‘Alright. We shall issue Notice and grant Stay as prayed.’ The second Judge also appended his signatures. The file was passed on to the court master. I was happy with the result and came back home.
But a thought that has often crossed my mind is – ‘if it were today, shall I do the same?’ No! Never! I think time is a good teacher.


‘My Best Brief’


On March 17, 1771, Sir William Jones in a letter to Count Reviezki observed that, "The only road to the highest stations in this county is that of the law." More than two centuries later, I experienced the truth of this statement.

In all probability, it was the year 1979. Thanks to my degree in law, I was sitting in front of Mr. Mohd. Hidayatullah. He had studied at Cambridge. Was called to the Bar from the Lincoln's  Inn on January 13, 1930. He was "one of those few under-graduates (if any) who, while reading for the Law Tripos, were Barristers!" He had been teaching law for years before I was even born. An eminent lawyer. A distinguished Advocate General. A learned Judge. Had retired as the Chief Justice  of  India. For a few days, he had acted as the President of the country. At the time I met him, he was the Vice-President of India. Also the Chancellor of the Punjab University.

I was asked to appear for him. In the High Court. To defend an order that he had passed. I had got an appointment. Reached punctually. To talk to him about the case. He was already in his study. The discussion about the case had taken no more than a few minutes. At the end, I promised to prepare the draft and send it to him ‘for approval.’ The response was spontaneous- “A doctor who tries to treat himself and a lawyer who wants to argue his own case has a fool for a patient and an idiot for a client.”

And then he had talked about various things. Law, lawyers  and literature. Men and matters. He knew Shakespeare and Salmond like the palm of his hand. I had sat like a student listening to a distinguished Professor.

He had written his memoirs. Chosen the "title of the book from Oliver Wendell Holmes’ subtitle to his "Aristocrat of the Breakfast Tables":  "Everyman his own Boswell." The book was under print at that time. I guess the chapter dealing with the visit of the President of America - Mr. Richard Nixon had just reached him. He had very kindly shown it to me.

There was a reference to the crowds that had lined the route. It reads - "In the car President Nixon seemed relaxed and quite flattered by the response of the people. Characteristically, he asked me: 'Mr. President, do people always turn out like this to greet the Indian President or is this because of the President of the United States' I sensed the comparison. I quietly replied: "Mr. President, I would not know, but I do suspect that many youngsters are here to see what a bulletproof car looks like!' He smiled and replied - you have a point there!"

An appropriate answer from a dignified Indian to an arrogant American!

The meeting should have been over at 4.30 p.m. It was already 5.30. He was being kind and generous. I thought it was time to take his leave. He had come out to see me off. There was no man at the door. He had opened it himself. I learnt that the entire staff had instructions to leave at 5 p.m. No official was allowed to stay after the office hours. He polished his shoes and ironed his clothes himself. He looked after the people who worked for him. Once he had sent the entire staff to watch the performance of a foreign ballet that was visiting the Capital. And so on. Here was an example to emulate.

The letter that he wrote in his own hand has been a prize possession. Despite the lapse of twenty- three decades, the words of William Jones are still true. Even in India. Law took me to a very high station in life. I met a tall man. An excellent human being. Learned. Adorned the highest offices. Yet, a perfect picture of humility. May his tribe flourish.

This has easily been my best brief.


6 comments:

  1. Wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing uncle. I could feel myself walking down the memory lane with you. Your write up reminded me of the time when my first posting after joining the IRS was in the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal as Departmental Representative. I had no experience of the field but was made to defend indefensible assessment orders. Do not remember any particular case but the whole experience made for good learning when I had to defend 15 cases a day with an office under the stairs in a house in Sector 2, against legal stalwarts with half a dozen juniors and a truck load of ITRs. It was so intimidating. But I very fondly remember one of the members Mr J N Kathuria who encouraged me and told me that I was doing very well despite the constraints. His words of encouragement made such a difference to my confidence. 20 years later(He retired in 1993) I am still in touch with him and meet him when I am in Delhi. He too is a tall man and an excellent human being. May their tribe flourish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice anecdote about the frivolous petition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great write up. Unfortunately, during the recent years our judicial system has deteriorated. Judges like you, sir, are few and far between. During your innings at the bar and later at the bench you set very high standards. Even now you are doing a great sevice by spreading wisdom through your blogs. God bless you with good health, long life and ever lasting happiness. DV BHATIA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Franz Kafka once said, " a lawyer is a person who writes a 10,000 word document and calls it a brief." You as a leading lawyer in the country have had the opportunity to argue innumerable briefs and decide countless as a judge. We, on the other hand have been enriched by your experiences both through this blog and in person. Our gratitude cannot be penned down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very brave "first brief" lawyer !

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... "if it were today, shall I do the same?"

    We all remember our first and our best, it's also the ones in the middle that, when taken as a whole, add to the judgment of our value. It's often times said that one should associate with interesting people, sometimes when we look around, that person is us... it's in the day-to-day that we find our place, that one might have a "first" and a "best", being of different cases, already shows a path a direction taken.

    ... "if it were today, shall I do the same?" The answer must be no, not the same. What couple (happy or not) is the same today as when first met or newly wed. Where is the (other) individual that does not change over time, and yet somehow it seems to be goal to continue the feeling of courtship's first encounters.

    I have just read/reread books by John Fowles and William Styron. The first author wrote his book with multiple endings because he didn't know how or didn't want to commit to a single ending. The latter wrote of choices... Today I ran across a short book by Ann Morrow Lindberg titled "Gift from the Sea" (c) 1955. I must admit that I have not read it yet... it will not be the first book I ever read, maybe not the best, and certainly not the last... but it caught my interest and I have added it to the list of books to read.

    Thanks for an interesting peep into the past... A "Swedish Compass" is defined (by some) as the top of a can of snuff, it doesn't show you where you have been or where you are going... instead it shows you who is lost.

    ReplyDelete