Monday 29 September 2014

A REWARDING RECIPE - For the Beginners at the Bar

For the Beginners at the Bar
“A Rewarding Recipe”
Perseverance & Prayer
By
J. L. Gupta


Gradually, I had graduated. Even in law. I was now qualified to be enrolled as an advocate. And then to wear the robes ordained as the insignia of the profession - the butterfly collars, the bands, the black and grey striped trousers, the black jacket and the gown.
         It has been said that a "man with a good coat on his back meets with a better reception". Believing it to be so, I had scraped through all my savings of student days and bought myself a decent though not an extravagantly expensive dress. After some months, when I was 21 years old, I was actually enrolled as an Advocate. But, that was all. I had nothing more. No office. No books. No staff. And yet, I hoped to set up a legal practice. With what? I had no idea. With patience to wait?  With a will, determination and an overwhelming need to succeed?
         One day, a middle-aged man walked in. He opened his worn out bag and took out the Paper-book. Apparently, the man had waited for years. Though, posthumous awards are no longer the sole monopoly of the services, yet, he had hoped that he would get justice in his lifetime. The papers were partly moth-eaten. They had gone yellow with years. Just 300 typed pages. In the language of law, it is still called a brief.
         In spite of need, I was reluctant to accept the brief. My daughter had high fever. I was anxious. However, the man was not ready to take a No under any circumstances. He undertook to sit by her bedside and pray till she was well. He was confident that she would be fine by the morning.
He prayed. I sat through the night and read his brief. At past three in the morning, I had finished reading the paper-book. He was still with the beads. I felt the child's pulse. The fever had gone. His prayers had been answered. Shall my effort bear any fruit?
As the case started, it was evident that it would not be a smooth sailing. In strictly legal terms, I did not have much to complain about. However, in equity, the claim appeared to be fair. But, the Bench was not receptive. Regardless, I persisted.
         In between, while their Lordships were conferring, I whispered to a senior colleague: "Shall I be able to 'secure' the petitioner’s job for him?"
"Only for as long as you keep talking" was the terse reply.
The response was not encouraging. Especially for a beginner. Yet, I silently prayed and persisted. I was able to do so primarily for the reason that I was morally convinced about the innocence of the petitioner- the Justice of his cause. I had faith and confidence in the efficacy of prayer. Equally, I had the belief that in court as much as before God, the truth must triumph. Still more, I needed to succeed. Every case makes a difference. Especially, in the beginning. It was necessary to win. I had nothing else to fall back upon.
As I persisted, their Lordships examined the file, conferred for a while, and found that the evidence on record had not been considered by the punishing Authority while passing the order of dismissal from service.  The Bench pronounced the judgment in favour of the petitioner.
Ultimately, truth had triumphed. Justice was done. Not entirely because of me. There is an invisible force that guides the destiny of us all. But, one is related to the other. His success was mine too. We both needed success to survive. And, we did.
Forty years and more have passed since then. Lots of things have happened. Once, I even made bold to boast: "I am a self made man." And without batting an eyelid a friend remarked: "Does it not save many of a lot of blame?” He was so right. Everyone could have agreed. But prayer & perseverance really make a rewarding recipe. Every beginner at the Bar shall do well to remember that.


8 comments:

  1. Very encouraging and moral boosting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phuphaji, a very encouraging article and for today's youth in particular that wants to get rich quick. I can completely relate to what you write since I also had to make a similar beginning with nothing much to fall back upon. God's messengers come to answer the prayers of the persistent and the persevering. Demand work not money. Money is the outcome and not the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full credit to the daughter as well and to her great fighting spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very interesting! The prayer and perseverance pays.
    This is borne out not only the recovery of the daughter but also the surgical outcome of father's recent ailment. The mechanism how prayer works is still ....?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vince Lombardi, America's legendary Hall of Fame Football coach who never lost a game as a head coach, said:

    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

    and he also said:

    "The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

    Prayers might enhance one's relationship with his/her Creator but the success comes from hard work and by serving the good humanitarian causes and that, I guess, what the Creator wants from us.

    Uncleji, you are an inspiring soul.

    Jai Hind
    (Exposing tainted BJP wallahs in Haryana battlefield)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victories we tend to take for our self, losses to share... It seems to me that you took that case for reasons that did not appeal to others and agued in a way that was convincing when they might have been less so. Justice seems to be a thread, rather than a destination. By our path we discover that 'victory' and 'defeat' have much in common.

    When I briefly searched the quote: "Youth is wasted on the young", I found that the words were simultaneously attributed the exiled Irish dramatist and polemicist George Bernard Shaw -and- Oscar Wilde...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A person who saw light when the dawn was still dark. A person who had faith when there was nothing. A person whose only tools were grit, determination and the energy to succeed. You are all that and more.
    Indeed you have left a legacy for the generations in the making. I truly hope this spirit trickles down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only in his yesterdays , even today writer steadily walks the path with an iron heart of resolution , open eyed and enthusiastic, cheerful and heroic.
    He constantly entertains at least in one corner of his mind, a continuous awareness of the Divine principle and it influences the rest of his mental field. His optimistic endeavor to benefit others brought marked progress and growth , both in his life within and in his life without. The very exposure to the vision of the writer is a great blessing .

    ReplyDelete